Welcome to the Broughton Volunteer Fire Department (Allegheny County Station 270) official website. We are 100% volunteer and self-supporting. We proudly share fire protection responsibilities in South Park Township with our sister company Library VFC (Station 271).
We are Located in South Park Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, a mostly residential community, we are approximately 11 miles south of the City of Pittsburgh, PA.
Ice and Snow, Take It Slow!
Use slower acceleration and slower speeds. Avoid heavy steering and braking. Allow extra time to reach your destination during inclement weather. It is not worth putting your own life or the lives of others in danger to save time.
- Drive with your headlights on.
- Don't get overconfident with four-wheel drive. It won't help you stop any faster.
- Winter road conditions often result in longer stopping distances. Give yourself room. If you have anti-lock brakes, press the pedal down firmly and hold it. If you don't have anti-lock brakes, gently pump the pedal.
- Slow down when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges or shady spots. These all have potential to develop black ice.
- Avoid abrupt actions while steering, braking or accelerating to lessen your chance of losing control.
- Look farther ahead in traffic. Actions by other drivers will alert you to problems and give you extra reaction time.
- Trucks take longer to stop. Don't cut in front of them.
- Avoid using cruise control or overdrive. Don't let your car make a bad decision for you.
- Try to avoid from parking in the streets so that snow removal trucks are able to clear the streets.